Good briefs are everything. Without them, we are blind. Without them, we leave the fate of our world to chance.
It is very important to have a well written design brief because it acts as a source of reference for everyone involved, and it encompasses exactly what the client wants to achieve.
The below questions will help the client write a solid brief for the design of a logo, and can be applied to other design briefs as well.
About the company
- What is the name of your company/organisation/service/product?
- How long has your company been established?
- Can you describe your business?
- If you had to describe your business in one word, what would it be and why?
- What services or products do you provide?
- Why was your company started in the first place and what was the motivation?
- How big is your company? (number of employees? revenue?)
- What are the strengths of your company?
- And what are its weaknesses?
- What are the long-term goals of the company? Where do you see your company in 5 years? 10 years? 30 years time?
About the companies competitors
- Who are your main competitors?
- What sets your company apart from the competition?
- How do your competitors market themselves?
About the target audience
- Who is the primary target audience?
- What is the target audience’s age group?
- Are they mainly male or female?
- Where do most of your audience live?
- What is the average household income of your target audience?
- Are there any new markets you’d like to break into? If so, what would they be and why?
- If your customers had to describe your company in one word, what would it be and why?
- How do most of your customers find out about your company?
- How do you plan to communicate with your target audience?
About the logo
- What is the current logo?
- Do you like or dislike anything about the current logo?
- Why are you looking to change the logo? What do you want the new logo to accomplish?
- Are there any words that describe how you feel when you look at your current logo and branding?
- What three attributes would you like your target audience to think of when they look at your new branding?
- Does your company have any visions or values? Do you have a mission statement?
- If you had to choose, which words best describes your brand:
Traditional or modern?
Friendly or corporate?
High end or cost-effective?
Consumer or Trade?
Your design preferences
- What colour palettes do you like and why?
- Are there any elements from the existing logo that you’d like to keep and why?
- Are there any restrictions to consider when designing the new logo?
- Is there anything that must be included, like existing brand elements, strap line, words or icons?
- Looking at other people’s branding, what logos do you like and why?
- Are there any logos that you particularly dislike and why?
- Do you have a budget in mind for the new logo?
- Do you have a deadline that needs to be considered?
- How many initial concepts would you like to see?
- Who will be the decision makers on this project? Giving feedback and approvals?
- How frequently would you like to meet? Weekly? Monthly?
- Will there be anyone else involved in this project? Any third party sub-contractors or other agencies/freelancers?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add that we haven’t already covered?
- Finally, would you like a brand-guidelines-pack creating?
If you would like to discuss your companies logo design, please get in touch.